10 replies to this topic

#1 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:54 AM

So my LR Previews size is 266GB (yes, GigaB… almost half the size of my HD). That seems HUGE to me. Anyone know if that's normal, or if there's a solution? Running out of HD space! 

• Pepper likes this

#2 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:19 AM

I've started splitting up my catalogs by year. In reality, the way I scrap, I pretty much am done with a year at a time and can file it away. So, what I do is keep a running main catalog. Then when I finish scrapping a year and have my photobooks printed, I'll duplicate my catalog, then delete all but that year and back that up. Then I remove that year from the main catalog. It keeps it more manageable. I only have a 500gb drive and I'm often running under 20GB free, so it's essential that I get everything I can off my drive! I can always go back and reference the older catalogs when I need to.

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#3 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

That's awesome! I do too much "trends over time" Scrapbooking to split my catalog, but I think I found the solution! I was saving 1:1 previews forever, so I changed the setting to delete after a certain amount of time, and it freed up a lot of space. :)
  • Pepper, wendyzine and anandi like this

#4 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

That's a great tip too!

• janygb143 likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#5 Pepper

Pepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:44 AM

That's awesome! I do too much "trends over time" Scrapbooking to split my catalog, but I think I found the solution! I was saving 1:1 previews forever, so I changed the setting to delete after a certain amount of time, and it freed up a lot of space. :)

How do you change that setting? I'm rather new in organising photos in lightroom!

P E P P E R  :D 
Facebook || Youtube
[Pepper Creations] || **NEW Instagram**

#6 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

I don't know if it counts in your catalog size, but you can also delete the backups except for a handful of the most recent.  Those take up a fair amount of space too.

• janygb143 likes this

#7 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

How do you change that setting? I'm rather new in organising photos in lightroom!

Hi Pepper! Sorry for the late reply.

In the File Handling area of the Catalog Settings dialog box, choose Automatically Discard 1:1 Previews > After 30 Days or Never. (Or whatever setting you wish. It does take LR time/energy to rebuild the previews if you delete them, though, so keep that in mind! It could be worth it to save the 1:1 previews if you have the space... I just don't :))

https://helpx.adobe....ong_as_possible here's where I found the info. That page has a lot of good tips on optimizing LR performance, too!
  • StefV likes this

#8 janygb143

janygb143

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

Anandi, thanks for the reminder! I keep my Backups on a separate EHD, but since I've been backing up every day, I definitely need to purge those sometime soon!
  • anandi likes this

#9 LeslieM

LeslieM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:44 AM

I keep just one catalog........I dip into old photos ALL the time (plus I love my heritage photos and genealogy). Can't wrap my head around multiple catalogs.  :)  I do clean out old LR backups as part of my monthly data practices checklist because they sure add up.  I'll have to check my previews setting.  Leslie

• janygb143 likes this

#10 Noell

Noell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

What is a 1:1 preview?

#11 anandi

anandi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Locationjust outside Seattle, WA

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

@noell - in Lightroom you can decide while downloading whether you want it to construct the "previews" for the images, so that when you go through the images the full one will pop up right away, or if you're willing to wait for it to render (not sure that's the right term) WHEN you click on it to zoom in.  I believe the 1:1 setting tells it you want the whole thing to download while you're importing the images, vs. doing it at the time you're working with them.  There are other smaller options but I don't have LR on this machine to tell you what they are.  The import goes faster if you choose a smaller preview at time of import, but then if you want to zoom in to an image you might need to wait for it later when working with it.

• Noell and janygb143 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users