#1 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

What do you think about the subscription model? I know it's been common on the paper side for a long time, but it seems to be gaining more popularity, or at least there are more options lately for subscriptions. So, I was wondering what you think about it? (And if you are a paper scrapper, I'd love to hear your thoughts too!)

Personally, I see the appeal of the Adobe subscription model. And when Elements stops being enough for me, I will probably take that leap. I also like the Paperclipping and Get It Scrapped model with paying one access price for classes and learning. I like that because I like having a time frame to focus on learning. I know my time commitments, and then I don't buy a bunch of classes that I never finish!

On the other hand, I've subscribed to the Digi Files and I don't think I'd do it again. I've very glad I did, as I did it the first year I jumped into digi scrapping. It was a good exercise in learning what I do and don't like, and what I will and won't use since the options are varied. However, now that I know my style better, I would rather pick out kits that work for me. I noticed that The Lilypad is now doing a subscription format and I wondered what everyone else thinks about this trend. The add-on thing made me smile, because I remember hearing paper scrappers talk about how they had to be up all night to get the Studio Calico add-ons the second they released. I would guess digi doesn't have the limited problem!

#2 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

I think subscriptions are great as long as they are affordable. The Adobe one was out of reach for most until they started the $10 plan, which I think is a super deal. The Paperclipping membership is really affordable and more than fair, but something like Lynda.com, although a huge offering, is beyond my subscription budget. I do love subscriptions when the price is right! My biggest concern, though, would be paying up front for a subscription that may or may not be there later. So, I'd rather have something that gives you full access immediately, versus something that drips new content out unless it was an established and proven company.

I do love The Digi Files... for the price, it cannot be beat and even if I wasn't on the team there, I'd be a member for sure!

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#3 mshanhun

mshanhun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

I have paid for the Digi Files, Paperclipping and Creative Cloud... so I guess I'm a fan of subscriptions. BUT in all those cases I had bought either one offs (like with Adobe) or got a free trial first. As a business owner you need a certain critical mass before they become viable though.

:) Melissa
http://DigitalScrapbookingHQ.com

Guest on PRT224  New and Shiny - about novel uses for Project Life

Guest PRT238 - Yellow School Bus - about scrapbooking your homeschooling journey

#4 LeeAndra

LeeAndra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:27 AM

I wonder why digital scrapbooking has not jumped on the subscription business model before now!

It seems like we don't actually own any kind of media anymore, e.g. Netflix/Hulu, Adobe CC, Spotify/Pandora, but just pay to have access to it. Since we are also paying for a license to use digital product, rather than outright owning it, it makes perfect sense to me that the industry would move in that direction. I don't paper scrap, but it seems like a big trend on that side of things and a new way to generate income in a market (now I'm speaking of digital again) that is pretty saturated with product.

• doglover likes this

the one and only L.A.

all digi, all the time

#5 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

To me there's a big difference between netflix, Adobe CC and a digital subscription. With Netflix and CC, you cancel and that's it. You don't have access to the program or the videos anymore. With digital supplies, you still have them. There's not a date that they will delete from your computer. So, those aren't really comparable.

The digi files and scrap stacks has the closest to a subscription and now the lily pad. I don't see it benefitting the designers though. I mean, I can get 4 kits for $5, or 7 kits for $8. I can't talk to the lily pad sub because I haven't tried it. But I don't see how those prices benefit the designers. They are too low per kit, and I'm sure that both sites take a cut of the price.

Pixel scrapper has a subscription service as well. For a flat rate per month you can download as much as you like. Is it sustainable? I don't know.
Sugar Hill confectionary has a flat rate 'subscription', although it's one price for unlimited access.

I see your point of not owning media, but I don't see how that could work in the digi world. By nature of the programs, you have to be able to download the product. Perhaps that's why there are so few subscription services? There's no easy way to make it sustainable?
  • doglover likes this

#6 doglover

doglover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

With a subscription, you may be able to get 4 kits for $5 or 7 kits for $8, but you may not use all of the kits.  You may only use one kit out of the package, so that one kit is costing you the $5 or $8.

One advantage of a subscription program for the store is that it usually keeps charging the customer account without the customer having to renew.  I think that many times the customer keeps paying, but they aren't really getting much value out of the subscription.  The customer maybe wouldn't be buying any kits at that time if they had to actually purchase them.

I know I had a subscription to the Silhouette store and was very excited about it when I had it.  Then I realized that I was downloading all these files at a faster rate than I could use them.  I switched to pay-as-I-go, and it's cost me much less.

With paper scrapbook supplies, you can buy just the single papers you are going to use.  With digital, there is already something in place that is similar to the subscription mentality.  You have to buy the whole kit, even though you may only use one or two papers out of it.  I know it's different than paper because you can reuse those papers over and over again if you want.  I don't digital scrapbook anymore, but I purchase digital kits and print them out for use in paper scrapbooking.  I almost never use the embellishments, yet often I buy kits where the cost of the embellishments is factored in. 

I think that the scrapbooking industry may end up being only digital products that people print at home.  It removes the risk involved with a company printing their collection and hoping they can sell off their inventory.

#7 wendyzine

wendyzine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

There actually have been several subscription models dating back to the early days of digital scrapbooking. They had varied amount of success, and their own amount of drama, including one that was by invitation only, and one that closed up shop overnight with no warning. They are definitely hard to sustain and require a firm commitment to regular product released, without excuse to be successful. The Daily Digi and Scrap Stacks are really trading the kits for advertising for the designers that contribute, so it's a slightly different model over a store or designer providing a subscription. I've also seen designers individually offer full access to a limited number of their customer for a yearly price, which if you really love a particular designer, could be really tempting.

• mshanhun likes this

Wendyzine Scraps

Studio Wendy @ Scrapbookgraphics  •  Photoshop & Elements Instructor

My Gallery

Guest on The Paperclipping Digi Show (ep 37), Digi Show (ep 27, 65, 91) The Daily Digi Digest (ep 48, 61, 77)

#8 ladywing

ladywing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

I do think there is some appeal to a subscription in the digital world, especially for people just starting out. One of the advantages to the Digi Files is that you also get the idea book with it. While I do not use all of the files I receive in my DF sub, there is generally one that appeals to me. And I know my style over the years has changed so something else could appeal down the road. I do like the sub model with education, but agree that Lynda was a little high for me with my time constraints. I can always go back to what I have for paperclipping at GIS which I do like. To some degree there is also community there, which I don't see as much with my DF sub.

Peggy (aka ladywing)

play as if your life depends on it or you'll be Zamboni road kill.

#9 legal_memories

legal_memories

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

So about kits - what do you think of Ali Edwards offering a monthly "story" digital kit that appears to be a few 3x4 cards and some word art for not $7 or $8/ month, but $19.99/ month - the same amount she is charging for the paper kit.  Are digital designers looking to see if she will be successful, or is alot of her appeal based on branding and personality and not so much the content?

#10 bestcee

bestcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

So about kits - what do you think of Ali Edwards offering a monthly "story" digital kit that appears to be a few 3x4 cards and some word art for not $7 or $8/ month, but $19.99/ month - the same amount she is charging for the paper kit.  Are digital designers looking to see if she will be successful, or is alot of her appeal based on branding and personality and not so much the content?

I don't know about designers. But considering if you do Story Stamp and Story Kit you get the Digital One for free, it seems like an odd price. It's got the feel of an add on, but the price is not.

I do think that some designers are under priced based on their kits and prices, but I also think some are overpriced. It'll be interesting to see if it changes things.

#11 allerliebsteanika

allerliebsteanika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

the price of the ali kit is actually pretty good. You are not only getting the digital kit, but also videos and inspiration, it is like a class every month. The prize is definitly not below value, but fair!

• mshanhun likes this

#12 Tiff

Tiff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBay Area California

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

I find the digital scrapbooking world to be a bit too volatile for the kit/journal card subscriptions that are popping up. The first thing I thought when I first saw a subscription was: what happens when the designers leave the store/retire/become less productive. But maybe this is the beginning of a more stable era that can accomodate subscriptions.

I know that some people think kit subscriptions are great for people scrapping on a budget because you have a fixed monthly price. But I find that when my scrapping budget is smaller, I want to spend my money on kits that I love. My preferences bounce around a lot (really into one designer one month, and then drift off to some new-to-me designer a couple months later), so I don't think I would enjoy having my budget tied up like that.

• bestcee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users